Translate

Saturday 1 June 2013

The day I bribed a police officer with a packet of Milk

Last night and on the eve of Madaraka day at 10 pm I was flagged down by a traffic officer on Ngong road. I anticipated the worst since I had made a U-turn. I stopped with my heart pounding with trepidation. The thought of how heavy the penalty for traffic offenses has become flashed through my mind. He came towards me with a flash torch. I lowered the window and he asked "Mkubwa unaenda nyumbani?' I answred in the affirmative. He continued "Unaona hapo umefanya makosa?" I told him "Yes, afande' Without beating about the bush he told me "si ununue soda basi uzidi kuenda nyumbani". without thinking properly, I removed a packet of milk shake I had bought earlier  from the Uchumi Hyper supermarket and told him "niko na hii maziwa afande". He laughed because he knew I had taken the "soda" quite literally. He then asked me, "na wewe je?' . I told him "niko sawa afande". he pocketed the milk and waved me to proceed with my journey. I thanked him because he was a very kind officer.

I have always avoided the police both as a criminal and also to seek help from them but however much we loath or despise them for some of their despicable omissions and commissions, they are human beings who do the riskiest of jobs with lowest of pay. They feel short changed. While the MPs who do nothing apart from sitting and talking are increasing their salaries at will, its the police who deserve an increase and improvement of conditions. 

1 comment: