Translate

Wednesday 15 July 2015

How taking photos in a school my children study turned me into a ‘terrorist’

By Najam Quraishy
This a what happen to me last Saturday July 4th, 2015 at Consolata School in Westlands.
I have two kids; a boy and a girl who study there and on Saturday July 4th, 2015 I attended the Opening Day function where my kids were to preform but for some reason they were cancelled at the last minute?
I had my camera and went around taking photos of my family and the other students performing there and of the hawks that were flying around.
I then decided to take a walk towards my car and saw a great shot of a hawk sitting on the branch of the tree which was in the driveway of the school next to the field where the event was taking place. I noticed a girl with a phone with a pink cover taking photos of me one right after the other in all different angles at that time thought she just had an interest in me so I decided to go to the car and wait for her to leave.  I saw her make her way like she was leaving the school on foot and then she returned and I guess continued to the event.  Did not see her after that she looked around 22 to 24?
She inturn sent my pics to her friend James Wariero who posted me on facebook  I quote direct from his post below (This has ruined my name and reputation)
This gentleman might be innocent and then again he might not.  At a public event at Cosolata School and the church in Westlands.  my friend saw this guy acting a bit suspiciously and taking pictures of the church and the school.  This is my interpretation of the Presidents “security starts with you ” He seemed to run away when he saw my pal take notice of him, and seemed to be packing something on the lower left leg from the pics.  I hope it is a simple thing that gets cleared up and we don’t come back to this post in tears when our children and church are attacked to embarrass Obama. Share widely and if he becomes known and is a regular guy, let everyone know and we shall buy him a beer.
As he mentioned share widely one of his friends Byanka Sanchez shared his post 35 min after he posted it according to the snap shot of the post I got this information from that was sent to me from a friend who’s brother lives in Norway sent him!  Which means not just locally this went viral around the world! It also appeared on Wassup!  I was told the School where getting calls all day about security and the so called terrorist?
I found out the next day got a call from Eric Gitonga stating do you realise someone has posted your pics on Facebook saying your a terrorist at Consolata School?  I thought at that time only one person the girl who took my pics.  I told him that Facebook is for people who love gossip and don’t go on that often and had nothing to say to the James Wariero.
Eric asked if you could defend me as he knows my work in photography and printing and said he wouldn’t use my name but I told him I have done nothing wrong he can use my name I have no problem with that.  I also got calls from other friends saying they were defending me on the post and were shocked to see it in the first place.
On Monday the 6th of July 2015 I was told by a friend I better report it to the police in case of anything anyone can think I am a terrorist and do something harmful to me.  So I filed a police report OB No.55/06/07/15  the officer who took my statement told me to come see the OCS the next day or Officer Bosire.
I came on Tuesday spoke to officer Bosire and he said he would handle the case and if I know them? Which I didn’t!
Now I was hired as an assistant to a French Photographer and we where shooting in Masai lodge in Rongai sides on the 9th and 10th for company called SPRING which VANITY FAIR in New York sponsors so the Producer and his team from New York were there.
On the second day the 10th I get a call from a police officer asking me about Consolata.  I told him I was seeing Officer Bosire from Gigiri on Friday and if we could meet there at the same time since I was on an important photoshoot.
He insisted on seeing me that day asked me were I was and I told him Masai Lodge in Rongai sides and asked him not to come today cause of the shoot!
30 minutes later 3 Anti Terrorism Police show up showing handcuffs to everyone and saying I was not being cooperative.
I was just stating a fact that I was working and could not talk to them cause originally they never identified who they were.
Then later I decided to shut up and sit in there GKB car and the wisked me a way to Anti Terrorism Head Quarters where they recorded my statement by 4 different officers one which finger printed me and the other photographed me the other two asked me questions about that day at Consolata and where I was born, what do I do for a living? About my business which I had closed down about a month ago due to rent getting tripled  and could not afford to be open.
Then they took me in a patrol car with sirens blazing all the way from Anti Terrorism Head Quarters to my house where we waited fro my wife to come.
They asked all 3 of my kids questions and wife and then searched the house and found nothing.  They had black rubber glooves  but never used them. Then we sat outside my apartment complex waiting for further instructions from someone higher in line which seem like two hours while my neighbours  watched me sitting with 4 police officers in the patrol car.
I told the officer who took me against my will from Rongai sides that I understand his position and am glad he did his work by checking everything.
His boss later called and the officer in charge told him in swahili what I understood that it was all a mistake and the girl who took my photos took many of them on that day. So he asked what do you want me to do and the Boss replied release him.
I was cleared of all charges!
I have asked for the names and information of the two involved but until now don’t know anything about them other that James Wariero is a member of the Nairobi Gossip Society! Can you imagine!
Before they came to me in Rongai they went to Consolata School and spoke to Father Carole (his name might not be spelled correctly) He cleared me as a parent at the School and that I had come to Opening Day at the School.  The Anti Terrorism Police have cleared me of all charges but what are they going to do two the girl and James Wariero?
I have been trying to find out more information about these people at first I wasn’t bothered now my kids are being harassed at Consolata School where other kids are asking them is your father a TERRORIST?
All this caused from social media supposedly James Wariero removed the post and apologised according to my friends but since he said spread it widely any his friends copied the post and placed in on theirs and it spread like wild fire!
I don’t know these people and why didn’t the girl after taking my photos show them to the school or a police officer to find out who I was but NO they decided to be Judge and Jurry!
I have heard from friends he has said that I got scared  and sold my business and pulled my kids out of school and run away to India?  All lies!!!
Other posts I have heard have said we should shoot him others have said we should pick him up and beat him.  So as a safety concern for my 7 year old daughter and 11 year old son and 15 year old son and wife. I do not drive with them just in case someone actually believes all these lies and just wasn’t to get even my life is in GOD’s hands!
I have found a good lawyer to handle this case and a good writer who I have already been in touch with to set the record straight.
I thank all of my friends and associates who defended me over the social media.  There must be a law for the social media in the way the conduct them selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment